Hervey Bay is Australia's Whale Watching Capital and has over 15 different Whale Watching Cruises to choose from!
You can look through the options below and book online anytime, or contact us by email or call (07) 4112 4310 and because we know all the boats and tours we can provide a recommendation to best suit your needs.
Please note the Hervey Bay Whale Watching season is usually from July to October.
Guaranteed whale sightings means your ticket is valid for another whale watching cruise in the very unlikely event we don't see a whale.
Book Your Hervey Bay Whale Watching Cruise!
Full Day Whale Watching Experiences
Half Day Whale Watching Experiences
3 - Hour Whale Watching Experience
More Hervey Bay Whale Watching Info
If you're finding it difficult to decide which is the best whale watching tour, we can help recommend the most suitable tour especially for you. We live in Hervey Bay and know each & every boat, operator & tour. The differences mainly come down to the time & duration on the water watching whales, the vessel type & it's facilities, and the tour inclusions such as meals, hydrophone, swim with whales and other activities.
Hervey Bay was declared the first Whale Heritage Site in the world in 2019 and recognised globally as a premier whale watching destination.
It is the only place on Australia’s east coast where thousands of humpback whales take a break during their annual migration and stay up to two weeks in the calm, warm waters of Platypus Bay in the lee of K’gari (Fraser Island). The large number of whales in this relatively small area results in extraordinary whale watching from mid-July to late October.
Hervey Bay has a variety of vessels and tours that operate from the Hervey Bay Marina providing amazing experiences for more than 50,000 passengers each year. Many people return each season to watch or swim with the whales in Hervey Bay describing their experience as spiritual.
A few fun facts!
- Adult humpback whales are about 13-15 metres long and weigh 35-40 tonnes!
- They can consume up to a tonne of food in a day.
- When swimming, humpbacks breath every 6-8 minutes and when resting every 10-20 minutes.
- Calves remain with their mothers for about 6 to 12 months nursing on fat-rich milk and growing rapidly.
- Hydrophones are microphones that crews lower into the water so you can hear whales singing (typically called "whale song").
Watch out for these whale behaviours!
- Head Slap - lunging head-first out of the water up to 6 metres.
- Breach - the whale propels itself out of the water, clearing the surface with two-thirds of its body or more.
- Blow - as a whale exhales and inhales at the surface, a cloud of water vapour is produced above its head during exhalation.
- Pec Slap - the whale rolls sideways at the surface slapping a pectoral fin against the water.
- Tail Slap - forceful slapping of the tail fluke against the surface resulting in underwater sounds.
- Spy Hop - the whale propels itself out of the water clearing the surface with two-thirds of its body or more.
"The jet ski tour was a fantastic day! It is a superb showcase of the marine park and the Hervey Bay waterways. Stuart is an extremely professional guide and ensured every aspect of the trip was a great experience. We all loved it and will be back again."
"I just wanted to let you know I had a great time on the Island. Thank you so much for arranging it for me. Having everything organised for me was definitely the best way to go. I would not have been able to organise all that by myself."
"Thank you so much for all your effort in getting us to K'gari, it was an amazing trip. Thank you especially for offering to drive us to the collection point, thankfully it all worked out but I really appreciate your help! Best regards and a have a wonderful day!"
"We took our Mum to see the whales to tick off an experience she has always longed for. Mum is almost 90 and in a wheelchair. The staff on Quick Cat were absolutely amazing and attentive making sure she had a wonderful time. Thank you so much loved every minute."
"Our favourite tour was the remote west coast of Fraser Island. It was amazing and such a surprise how beautiful it is."
"I have always wanted to see Fraser Island and the day tour we booked here was perfect, we want to come back for longer!"
"It was so easy to see all the whale watching tours in one place and choose the right one for us. Thanks for your help."
"Expert and passionate knowledge of Hervey Bay and its surroundings. Highly recommended."
"Haven't been to Hervey Bay in years. I have been reminded how awesome Hervey Bay is thanks to experienceherveybay.com.au. Trip booked. See you soon Hervey Bay!!"
"Hervey Bay is heaven on earth. Can highly recommend 'Experience Hervey Bay' as the people to meet all your needs and help you to make the most out of your Hervey Bay holiday. The team are so friendly, knowledgeable and go above and beyond to ensure that you have the best time. Thank you, can’t wait to visit again."